Monday, February 16, 2015

Recap of Violin #1


Violin #1  A quick review of progress so far, check back at the beginning of March for new progress. 

Half Template:  6.Jan.2015

   

I taped my plan to plywood, and scribed holes for the outline. I then fret sawed the shape proud, and draw filed (file clamped to a square block) to the line.

Mould:  7.Jan.2015



I drilled two holes through the half template & plywood. After inserting drill bits, I traced both sides of the template and cut out like the half template. The bottom & top block recess were too large so I added plywood. I glued sand paper to a broomstick handle with a squared base and used on a flat surface to finish the C-bout area.

Blocks:  8.Jan.2015


Using an apron plane and resting the blocks on the bench, I squared all the bases, then one reference surface for the other surface(s), frequently checking against the mould. I finalized the block heights using flat surface mounted oversize sand paper.

Counter Blocks:  13.Jan.2015



I cut the block shapes using a fret saw (instead of a gouge), planning to use the off cut for clamping blocks. For this piece, I'm clamping with new wood. I then used my sanding stick and block to finish the block edges vertically.

Ribs:  18.Jan.2015





I scraped the rib stalk, then shooting board flattened one edge. I used a marking gauge on the ribs and used a knife and steel rule to cut the line clean. Excess used for purfling. .9mm C-bout, 1mm upper, 1.1mm lower bout. I bent the ribs with a straitening iron and animal glued with a milk-like consistency.

Joining the Front:  21.Jan.2015



First I cut the bass bar from the inside of the thicker spruce, then shooting board flattened the split halves, experimenting with riding the glue surface on flat surface mounted sandpaper. I sawed the linings from the outside edge of the wood at an angle which I use here for even clamping.



No comments:

Post a Comment